Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Google and the Art of User Interface.

Google is GOD… What a trip this has been till now!!! they have this uncanny ability to start off their users at the simplest of interfaces… which the users then “learn” to customize as they gain expertise in using the interface/tools.

This blog is a sexy example. I started day one with a regular off-the-site template. Into which I put my first blog. I then discovered the “edit page layout” section where I managed to put my photo and create lists.

I then managed to set the blog to my time, rearrange page elements and fine tune fonts.

As I gained confidence… I added ready off the shelf scripts for visitor counts and visitor locations… I was on a roll…

Recently a friend asked me to explore Ajax and web interfaces using Ajax… while doing some research I cam across a hack for Ajax Labels in blogger.

So I added downloaded the html for the template, added the required changes, set up my google pages to host a JS file. I then added some more HTML into my page. And Voila!!! Ajax Labels on my page.

This may not be shocking for a hard core techie… but remember I am not one. I cannot code to save anything…

As I said… ALL HAIL GOOGLE… WHATTA WAY TO DO THINGS!!!

No comments: